Friday, September 7, 2007

The Show Must Go On...

So tonight was supposed to be our opening night, but about three days ago we learned that the stage we've been waiting around to get on (practising in practically a closet instead) is not going to be ready until next week. For half a day we didn't know if we'd perform at all, but the powers that be found us a junior high auditorium. Tonight will be dress rehearsal instead.

I'm exhuasted, harried, and every muscle in my body aches - more from cutting out Grecian Urn dresses than anything. Instructions: cut out five big circles and five big rectangles, cut holes out of the middle of both, sew the square to the circle. Easy. Until you lay out 100 miles of fabric that moves out of place if you just think about touching it, and then try to figure out exactly what is meant by "five big circles". How big? How do you get them round? How big a hole in the middle? Note: if you make the hole too big, the skirt will only fit a woman who is 3 feet tall and 300 pounds. I know this from experience.

We've had other obstacles - Harold and Ethyl Toffelmeyer (the pianola girl) are both coming down with colds and speak in whispers. Marion had a family emergency and couldn't be there last night. Not to mention that we perform tomorrow and we still haven't used mics or lighting or finished all the costumes. Oh, or made the backdrops. That's where I'm heading right now with my paint brush - as soon as I make a dozen bow ties.

What on earth was I thinking when I went to that audition?

2 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

I did the Grecian Urn dance at a Relief Society function last year -- it was so much fun!

I love the Music Man and as soon as you said Edith Tofflemyer, you brought a smile to my face.

Good luck with everything!

Unknown said...

Wow! You're a little busy. I had to laugh at the 3', 300 lbs reference. Sounds like the kind of sewing I do! Apparently you are better than I am because you figured it out.

By the way, Suzanne, I'd love to have you join the Utah Chapter of BEAUTIFUL BABBLING BOISTEROUS BLOGGING BABES. We are having so much fun choosing a time to meet for lunch. If you'll pop over to my blog and drop me a line telling me you'd like to be part of our little club we'd love to have you on board. Also, please vote for the best time for you to have lunch. Most votes wins, natch.