Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Take Me Out To The Ball Game...

Many of you have praised my son for his guitar playing - thank you! One of these days I'll post a video of him playing a song like Pipeline, or Johnny Be Good, it's amazing. He wrote me a sweet little mother's day song Sunday morning, and wanted to perform it before family arrived for dinner, because he said he'd be embarrassed to play it for them. I asked him what he was talking about, since he loves to perform (make that LOVES to perform), and he pointed out that he only likes it when it's good, and this song isn't very good. Hmmm, a perfectionist. I guess that's a necessity for a real performer. I thought it was wonderful, but whatever, I'm a little biased.

Anyway, the title of this blog is about baseball, and the story really is. Yesterday he had a baseball game, he played rightfielder. He tried to convince me to skip the game, it's the end of the season and he's tired of standing in outfield for an hour. He's not the most motivated player in the world, plus he's at the age that they mostly know how to play, but not really. They're as often as not to throw the ball randomly towards the pitcher's mound as to an actual player. One of the mothers commented that it's hard not to laugh sometimes and I hardily agreed. At one point the ball was hit directly into right field, and my son watched it, while standing in place playing an air guitar. The father next to me said, "The right-fielder's in the perfect position for that. What's he doing?"

"Practicing his air guitar," I said. A few minutes later the ball went to the same place, and the same thing happened.

"That right fielder's just standing there!" The dad said, "Who is that kid anyway?"

"Mine," I said. "He's mine. Sorry."

The guy was embarrassed, rightfully so. I told him it was okay, but he should be sure to catch him at the Sandy Amphitheatre next month when they put on Ragtime. I told him we were headed to a rehearsal directly after this, which is where he'd rather be. There's even a baseball scene, where he sings and dances and isn't ever expected to touch a real ball, so it'll be fine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's pretty funny. Wish I could have seen that.

Our next Blogging Babe get together will be:

Saturday ∙ May 17, 2008
11:00 a.m.

Golden Corral
Orem

Sorry, I've been so preoccupied with Alvin's surgery and recovery I forgot to plan anything. So let's meet at Golden Corral at 11:00, rather than 10:00. We'll get our usual room and just get together and visit. It'll be great to see you all!

See you Saturday.