Monday, April 28, 2008

Climbing out of my hole.

I finally got my manuscript and other requested documents off to the publisher. I've been working on it a little bit here and there for the last month, and when I thought I was close to being done I sent an email off to the publisher saying I should have the materials there by Friday, the next Monday at the latest. I woke up that Monday with the goal of getting it sent off by lunch. Same for Tuesday. Wednesday, at around 4:00 in the afternoon, I felt bit light headed, and wondered what that was about. Then I realized I hadn't eaten yet that day. Did the same thing on Thursday, except it only took until about 1:30 for the dizziness to start. I had no idea it would be so difficult. I did however finally get everything off on Friday afternoon - the manuscript, marketing ideas, my bio, my picture. Whew, it's feeling kind of real now.

I spent the rest of the day shopping, since my kids seem to think there should be food in the house. The sun's out today, and I've been out enjoying it, which is just what I needed after sitting in a hole for two weeks.

And just for the heck of it, here's my suggestion for a back cover, tell me what you think!

The heart can’t hide from a current of love that flows as steady and strong as the river.

January 11, 2005: A massive storm rages throughout the west. Angry, churning water spills over the banks of the Virgin River, already at twice its’ normal capacity, resulting in what will become known in the area as the flood of the century.

Carmen Anderson has spent her entire adult life avoiding the place she fled as a teenager—Prosper, Arizona, a tiny town sitting on the banks of the Virgin River. But when her teenage daughter Paige begins to act rebellious, the devoted single mother makes an impulsive decision to move back to Prosper and its’ wholesome values. When Paige is unexpectedly stranded in the town during a flood that takes out its only access bridge, Carmen sets out on a desperate journey that jeopardizes both her career and a proposal of marriage from a dashing coworker to get to her daughter before she uncovers a painful secret—the mystery of what could have driven Carmen away from a people who still love her fiercely, even after fifteen years of painful separation.

8 comments:

Pancake said...

I LOVE IT! Cant wait for the book to come out! Best of luck!

Elder Zachary Moffat said...

I can't wait to read it! It sounds great!

It was good to see a familiar face today at the courthouse! I'm glad I went. I didn't understand everything but I still found it interesting. Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye!

Have a great day!

Elder Zachary Moffat said...

I can't wait to read it! It sounds great!

It was good to see a familiar face today at the courthouse! I'm glad I went. I didn't understand everything but I still found it interesting. Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye!

Have a great day!

Jarom said...

so i know this is going to sound super awkward... but it's me Jarom... yeah your neighbor's son... i found your blog randomly a while back- I was actually the one who told Alisa about your blog ha...So this is awkward but whatever..

Dang nice job with the book publishing!! that's insanity but cool... I like the back title/summary thing- it's very well written and easily captures my attention.

that's awesome...

Suzanne Reese said...

Thanks All! Neighbor boy - nothing awkward about being nice - you and the rest of your fam are some of my most favorite people! Thanks for the encouragment, and you're right, it is insanity, but I'm sure that's no surprise after living next to me for a decade!

Unknown said...

Sounds good, Suzanne. Can't wait to read it. Good luck with the publisher.

TheOneTrueSue said...

Congratulations on getting published. I'm so jealous!

That first sentence - I don't know. I think it might not be doing your writing justice? I would think it was some kind of really cliche romance novel, and from your description, that's not what it's about at all.

Take my comment with a grain of salt though. I'm not the one with a book deal, tee hee.

Suzanne Reese said...

Thanks Sue - that is something to chew over. Definitely don't want cheesy romance, and yes I like to think my story is way more than that. Unfortunately that is what sells - I collaborated a bit with a successful writer while this was in the planning stages and he kept saying MORE ROMANCE! At the time the story had almost none. I'm still anxiously awaiting the editor's opinion, in the meantime I'll think over how to de-cheesify it!