Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's My Birthday...Happy Birthday...It's My Birthday..

I'm a Christmas baby. Born four days before, brought home on Christmas morning. Which means I've always shared my big day with the Big Guy. Which is fine. Any day is a good day for a birthday. Yes, that's right. I actually LIKE the fact that I'm getting older.

I suppose everyone in the middle of cancer treatment looks at their birthday differently from the Average Joe or Joanne. I realize most adults moan and groan the advancing of age, but I just can't do it. To me, one more birthday is nothing but a reason to CELEBRATE!

And since this isn't my first time at cheating death, or even my second, I've been like this for quite some time. (Sorry if you find it annoying.)

I'd like to say that this cancer thing is my most dramatic brush with death, but the whole 'heart failure and subsequent open-heart surgery with four kids ages seven and under' was pretty, darn dramatic.

Not to mention the growing up normal and healthy despite having a hole in your heart the size of a pencil. I've asked several doctors how that could have happened and they just shrug.

I can't even claim that hole or this most recent cancer discovery as my most miraculous events. If you know anything about colon cancer, you know that finding pre-cancerous polyps in your early thirties when there's no family history is nothing short of a miracle.

And now with finding this super-mega tumor just in the nick of time. I don't know what to think. I'm just happy to be here.

I kind of feel like doing a victory dance, and sticking my tongue out at whatever force is apparently bent on taking these birthdays away. Anybody want to join me? It's my birthday...Happy birthday...Neener Neener...It's my birthday...Neener Neener...

4 comments:

Laurie said...

I agree with you 100%! I consider it quite an accomplishment to have made it through another year. I celebrate my birthday with as much gusto as I can conjer (sp?) up every year. I'm with you!!!

IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY, IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!! NEENER NEENER!!!

Happy Birthday Suzanne!!!

Elder Zachary Moffat said...

I hope you have had a wonderful day! Happy Birthday! I was so happy to see you on Thursday night. You looked beautiful!
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Suzanne! You are amazing!!! Love ya, Amy McMullen

Suzanne Reese said...

Thanks to everyone who greeted me both here and privately! Had a nice day with the fam. Even got diamonds! Itty bitty ones, but beautiful. How sweet is that?