Monday, June 14, 2010

Getting Emotional...

As I've mentioned in an earlier post, this chemopause I've been thrown in to has given me cause to fight my emotions in a way that brings back not-so-fond memories of my teen years. I read about one woman who says she's learned to look forward to these out-of-control because she feel victorious when she overcomes them. And I agree, once I figured out WHY I was freaking out over the littlest things, it became much easier to stay in control. And then I get to pat myself and the back and say "Good for you Suz for not stomping out of the room like a two-year-old in front of the whole fam because you burned candied nuts." Yeah I know, it doesn't sound like that big of a victory, but trust me, it feels like it.

So...one of my author friends Anne Bradshaw put this on her status on Facebook, and I was moved. I did have to wonder whether it covered chemically-induced temper tantrums, but I suspect it does:

“Almost every emotional problem can be summed up in one particular bit of behavior: it’s a person walking around screaming, ‘Love me.’ Love me, that’s all. He goes through a million different manipulations to get somebody to love him. On the other hand, healthy people are those who walk around looking for someone to love. It’s hard to learn, but it’s good when you learn it.” ~ Thomas P. Malone

Wow - how simple is that? How profound? From babies to hard-to-deal-with family members to chemo-brained cancer patients - just love me. And if you're the one acting bad? Go find somebody to love. Easypeasy.

Just when I think I've got this living thing figured out...something new comes along.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Suzanne--thanks for using that quote in your blog. I love it, too :-) Never an easy thing to acknowledge, or actually do, all the time, but oh how wonderful it is when we feel loved, no matter what. Totally and unconditionally.

Hope you're having a good day. Didn't know about the cancer drugs. So sorry.

Suzanne Reese said...

It's so good to have wise friends! =)

Taffy said...

Awesome quote, Suzanne!

Kimi said...

Good stuff, Aunt Suzie!

MISS YOU!