Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Everybody stay calm! There's no need for panic...


I need to make it clear that I am not the type of person that worries needlessly. I am not at all like those silly women that sit around worrying when their husband is late getting home from a trip to the point that by the time said husband arrives she is in hysterics--not only has she planned his entire funeral but has moved on to figuring out how to provide for the family without him. I would never do that.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So, with that in mind, let me say that if I were that type of woman, I would be a wreck right now. But I'm not. Because I'm sure everything's fine. Just because that son with the birthday, the one in Mexico, in the Yucatan Peninsula, is in the eye of a category 5 hurricane. But like I say, I'm sure he's fine. I actually wasn't worried much at all yesterday. It was his p-day (preparation day) and we got a letter telling us that he was evacuating the area as soon as he was done with the letter. He didn't sound like he was in any rush - wrote a nice detailed letter about all his experiences of the week. "How nice," I thought, "the church takes such good care of their boys." And they do, they really do. I'm told that statistically 19-to-20 year-old boys are much safer on a mission than at home riding their motorcycles and jumping off cliffs and all those other things they're inclined to do.

But then last night I started reading details about the storm, and didn't like what I read. So here's the deal: he was in Escarcega, which is on the southwest part of the Yucatan peninsula, and was evacuating to Merida, which is on the Northwest part of the peninsula. The eye of the storm hit on the eastern part of the peninsula, right in between those two points, and traveled northeast, directly THROUGH the area he was traveling yesterday! So in other words, when he went merrily on his way yesterday, he was heading INTO the eye of the storm. My husband keeps pointing out that Merida didn't get hit much, and that's where he is now. I have to clarify that that is where he was heading. There's a difference.

And boy is it a good thing I'm not a worrier. Because if I were I'd probably be huddled up with a box of chocolates, watching the news like a maniac. And that would be silly...just ask my husband.

1 comment:

Tristi Pinkston said...

The Lord does watch over missionaries -- and the church does everything it can to keep them safe as well. He'll be fine -- but don't feel guilty for worrying. That's what moms do!