Friday, December 5, 2008

Waiting for Winter

After spending my first fourteen years of life in California, then the next thirty or so in Utah, I've been known to grumble that I don't need any ">@#*! snow to put me in the Christmas spirit.

(Can you believe I just did a search for swearing symbols? I've never typed those before and had the worst time making them look right! I do, by the way, speak in those symbols. I have this wierd affliction that keeps me from using the actual words. But I digress...)

Given my lack of enthusiasm for anything cold, I have never before felt a need to associate snow with Christmas. And don't get me wrong. I love that I can still walk to pick up my son after school with just a light jacket. I totally don't mind that I can run to the mail box barefoot. It does not pain me at all that I don't have to shovel the driveway before pulling the car out.

But I have to admit that my Christmas tree, stockings, lights, our visiting elf Tiny, and the hundreds of santa statues, feel a little premature. Lonely even. Like we set them out way too early. Christmas couldn't possibly be in just three weeks could it? I can still walk to my son's school with just a light jacket for heaven's sake!

I guess I need to start thinking about Christmas cards, shopping, neighbor gifts and all that good stuff. But, I don't know, it just doesn't feel like there's any rush. Winter isn't even here yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, another blogger that shares my name! Thanks for stopping by my blog today, and let me just say....RIGHT...BACK...ATCHA'! You have a gift, my friend -- I love to read what you write! And I'm excited about reading a book written by someone I (sorta') know! I'm a little ADHD in following contest directions, though -- would it be at all possible for you to email me and fill me in on what I've been missing? Write me at:
superquack6 (at) q (dot) com.

Thanks! I can't wait to get your book!

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I know what you mean. I've been struggling to get my mind in Christmas mode. Guess it will come whether we're ready or not.

Solicity Sock Monkey said...

I'm intrigued! You just won the curiosity of a sock monkey!